Paleng – Place of Stories is a registered Non-Profit Organisation (NPO, 198-590).
In January of 2022 Paleng was approved as a Public Benefit Organisation (PBO, 930073423).
Thank you for your interest in helping Paleng on our mission. We deeply appreciate any donation that you may be able to offer. You are investing in the lives of rural children who are the future. Without children who have the skills to grow into independent adults and make solid contributions to their communities, we have nothing. This, in the end, is where your money really goes – not into the books or the libraries, but the child.
We have a good track record and we generate thorough reports for our funders. We are also currently conducting an in-person survey with children, parents, and teachers in Lesotho to assess the impact of our books and related activities.
Paleng’s outputs thus far include:
- 13 children’s books: 12 bilingual (English and Sesotho-Lesotho) and 1 in Sesotho-Lesotho
- A bilingual fold-out number card
- 13 Book Festivals held in different regions of Lesotho and attended by over 1000 children in total
- Over 20 000 Paleng and 7000 Book Dash books distributed directly to children across Lesotho
- Establishment of 4 libraries for rural Lesotho communities
- COVID-19 related resources, including a book, masks, and educational posters
Your funding will help us realise our goal of branching out and achieving similar outputs in rural communities in South Africa.
You get to choose what aspect of Paleng your money funds.
Specific funding options are divided according to our greatest needs. Alternatively, you can decide to give a general amount for us to allocate as needed. See below for our banking details and reference codes for EFTs.
Our priority at Paleng is always creating books and getting them to children. Funding for BOOK PRODUCTION covers the writing, illustrating, translating, design, and printing of books. We also need to reprint books on an ongoing basis.
BOOK DISTRIBUTION funds will go towards transporting books from the printers to rural areas in Lesotho and South Africa. Helping us with this cost will make sure that the books reach their destinations. This allocation also includes the running of our Book Festivals which are essential for distribution.
Funding is also needed for LEARNING RESOURCES. This includes much needed stationery that we hand out to children at Book Festivals and the printing and distribution of posters that encourage reading. These are designed to be put up in classrooms and other communal spaces.
Last but not least, we keep our overheads as small as possible, but we require funds for RUNNING COSTS too! These include mobile credit (airtime), fuel, school visits, networking, etc.
Should the funding amount not reach the necessary threshold for specific costs, we reserve the right to allocate the funds at our discretion.
Standard Bank, South Africa
Account name: Paleng Place of Stories NPO
Account type: Business current account
Account number: 371 566 983
Universal branch code: 051 001
Swift code: SBZAZAJJ
- To contribute towards general funding, use GENERAL as the payment reference
- To contribute towards book production, use PRODUCTION as the payment reference
- To contribute towards book distribution, use DISTRIBUTION as the payment reference
- To contribute towards learning resources, use RESOURCES as the payment reference
- To contribute towards Paleng running costs, use RUNNING as the payment reference
Aside from a handful of generous individuals, our two major funders currently are Solon South Africa and Rahula Trust (England). We are exceptionally grateful to these two organisations and we look forward to future fruitful partnerships.
Please contact us if you would like to discuss funding.